A Brief on the Origins of Vastu Shastra

I have been an avid follower of myths and traditions right since childhood, but none have excited me as much as the doctrine of Vastu Shastra, which has its roots in the most ancient times.

Well, this is one of the first attempts I am making to write. I am not entirely sure if it will be successful, but I will most definitely attempt to make it as genuine as possible. I was not entirely sure, as to what I wanted to pen down. However, rationality suggests that I should dedicate this first attempt to writing about something which has had the most significant impact on my life, my perspectives and more importantly, my beliefs.

So coming straight to the point - I am referring here to Vastu Shastra. Confused? Yes you should be. That is exactly what I felt initially too when I came across this term, with a few elders gossiping about it. Being an inquisitive person, I decided to make an effort to deciphering the meaning of this "unheard of" terminology.

Well, Vastu Shastra is a very popular Indian doctrine from my country - India. It consists of traditions, beliefs and principles, which have significant impacts on human dwellings. The instructions or recommendations, made by Vastu Shastra, are purely based on the elements of nature and their perceived presence in various spheres of our lives.

The Vedas are one of the biggest basis for most practices and religious beliefs of Hinduism today. Since Vastu is derived from the Vedas, its authenticity is unparalleled. It is even said that great rulers of then i.e. 5000 years ago such as Lord Rama and Lord Yudishtira, the protagonists of the Ramayana and Mahabharata respectively (two of the greatest epics of India), and even the divine Lord Buddha would make it a point to either include Vastu beliefs in their architectural planning or communicate the importance of these beliefs to their followers. This is one of the primary factoids which enhances credibility of the doctrine and makes it appear highly relevant to even modern architects and builders.

So, who is responsible for creating this fascinating set of theories? While several sages and "yogis" from ancient India have been credited to have made periodic additions to the doctrine, its inception is credited Mamuni Mayan - one of the mythical sages appearing in the Mahabharata. He is said to have been the chief architect of the hall in which King Dhritirashtra - the father of the two feuding clans of the Mahabharata i.e. the Pandavas and the Kauravas, held his court assemblies. Mamuni Mayan was popularly credited as "Vishwakarma" - which means the primary crafts man. This term was coined by Vyasa - the author of the Vedas.

I was myself thrilled when I saw such an old doctrine being used by modern builders of today in planning their homes. Vastu primarily revolves around directional orientations of various rooms of houses - i.e. what is recommended and what is not, where should a particular artifact or piece of furniture or appliance be placed and where not and how can one benefit in various facets of life such as marriage, career, financial and professional growth etc.